Tuesday, October 27, 2009

{Wall decor}

Image via Cookie

In a child's room think outside the square when it comes to wall decor. You don't have to completely cover the walls but give them something stimulating to look at. Above, a beautiful vintage tactile rug has been hung behind a casual bed setting. If you love this look, ebay will be your friend.


Image via Inside Out magazine

In this neutral nursery, a collection of vintage and handmade items provide decorative accents and a chic splash of colour. The embroidery hoops are a real statement piece and a cost effective project to try - just pop an assortment of your favourite fabrics inside.


Image via Real Living magazine

Vintage flash cards are a merry addition to a child's room. Start with tacking your cards (I'm a big fan of this Cavallini & Co set here) in a grid like pattern. The glass and backing has been removed from the frame then it's been given a vibrant coat of glossy red paint. Easy peasy!

Image via Cookie

A spectacular collection of flash cards has simply been tacked to the wall...


... here a set of animal flash cards have been cleverly linked together and hung from a long branch.

Image via Home Beautiful magazine

Children love personal collections of art. Dig out that first pair of shoes or that special leaving-hospital outfit you have carefully wrapped and boxed and display them in a frame. Black and white photos forming a timeline of their young life will boost lots of wonderful memories and a framed baby handprint will show just how much they've grown.

I'd love you to share some of your clever ideas. What have you made for your child's bedroom?

11 comments:

  1. All wonderful ideas! I am absolutely in love with the second room with the gray walls and dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a particularly gorgeous t-shirt size 1 and little hat (both in strawberry pink) framed. Azzy is 10 now and still loves them so I won't be getting rid of those keepsakes too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them all! And I don't have kids, but what great ideas. I have a big blank wall that I have been thinking about putting a series of shadow boxes on with 3D objects in - but now maybe a rug? maybe embroidery hoops? oh dear...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this! the vintage simple look with "out of the box" decor ideas is awesome. i love those little dresses hung on the walls in a child's bedroom. sweet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shadow memory boxes are wonderful! I love the ides of using a keepsake as art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very cool post! Love this series you are doing on children's rooms!!
    xx
    callie

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the idea of hanging the art by a stick. Also, fun to see that vintage 'abercrombie and fitch' hassock/leather pig.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice blog you got here!! I don't kids but I am passing the link to my sister, she is decorating my nieces new rooms, she will love it!!
    Regards from London.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple yet stylish that is the best way for me to describe the interior design of this house. Matched with light colored ornaments give it the spark it needs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have just finished putting wallpaper in my daughters bedroom. I think its not as wonderful as those in the pics.

    ReplyDelete