My dad is always telling me he has booked tickets to some concert or another, last week he was in Sydney watching Robin William's comedy show, just last night he was at Crowded House in Pokolbin, in the Hunter Valley (will come back to this) and early next year he's off to Byron Bay's Bluesfest to see Bob Dylan. They're just a few recent conversations that come to mind.

So last month, as a special birthday present Dad flew up from Sydney to take me to the Lilith Fair - a celebration of women in music - held right here in Brisbane. It's a huge full day outdoor event in the states and Canada, where it was started by the beautiful Sarah Mclachlan. She was there, accompanied by two Aussie acts, Ella and Jesse Hooper (the duo behind Killing Heidi - I forget their new band name) and Kate Miller-Heidke. It was in at Southbank, held late in the night, indoors of course. I don't know what I was expecting but I was surprised to see some parents took their young kidlets along, and even more surprised by all the old people in the audience (when I say old I don't just mean older than me, I mean grey-haired grandparents old). When it started though, I could see why. It was a really lovely, quite intimate setting - and perfect for a novice like me.
The first act was good - Ella and Jesse. They seemed more like a pub band to me (meaning I would have enjoyed them more having sunk a few drinks in a pub). Dad really liked them though. Sarah Mclachlan was last to come out. I was most excited about seeing her leading up to the day. She has the most incredibly beautiful voice, it was a goose bumpy feeling seeing her perform live. The one that took me by surprise was Kate Miller-Heidke. She was brilliant! Hilarious and confident too. And so sassy. She had the audience in stitches, I heard the row of old people behind me talking about her during the interval. One asked how old they thought she was. They all agreed late twenties. A man said he couldn't believe her confidence. They went on talking her up, but I tuned out after this.
So back to Dad at the Crowded House concert. He rang me the day before, surprised that he'd just heard Kate would be the supporting act. I told him he was lucky (though in my head it sounded more like 'lucky bastard'). Well it was a huge shock when he called me up last night to tell me he'd got me an autographed CD! How lucky am I!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment