Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Advent




This Christmas is going to be a little bit sad in our house because our lovely friend Nina can't be with us to celebrate. She was our Swiss exchange student who stayed with our family for twelve short months. I think it's safe to say she opened my eyes to many things - I'm positive her experiences influenced us to homeschool. I believe I'm a better person having met her and I feel fortunate to now call her a close friend. I think having only a ten year age gap between us worked brilliantly in this situation, we were spoilt, really.

Our family loved hearing stories about the differences in our homes, cultures, schools, fashions, climate, holiday traditions!

Marianne her mother had organised a whole bunch of thoughtful little packages to arrive throughout December in lieu of being able to celebrate Christmas with her daughter in person. There were funny gifts, practical things (sports socks?) lovely heartfelt cards from her sisters, a German recipe book with cookie recipes they would usually make together, and a copy of Nina's favourite childhood story for her to read to my kids. How sweet!

This year I am starting our own advent calender using this swanky canvas wall hanging we found in at Kikki-k. For every day in December right up until Christmas I am going to come up with a fun little activity for us to do together. Here are a few good ideas I am pinching from the web - some of these activities we would probably do anyway but I think my kids will love anticipating what fun surprises the pockets hold.

- go for a picnic
- paint everyone's toenails in festive colours
- write letters to Santa
- make decorations for the tree
- make paper chains
- bake Christmas cookies
- make a gingerbread house
- fancy dress for dinner time
- watch a Christmas movie with popcorn
- Christmas lights tour
- make a wreath
- go to a Christmas concert
- silly family photos with antlers and Santa hats
- make and mail cards to kids' friends.
- read a Christmas story

No comments:

Post a Comment