Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A sweetie pie Christmas


Jackie from Sweetie Pie Pumpkin Noodle is sharing her Christmas tale with us today. Be sure to pop over to her blog for a visit. Enjoy!

My typical Christmas morning It has definitely changed in the last few years since having children. We all get up bright and early, and my two year old Natalie runs to see what Santa has left for her. She will play with those toys while I make breakfast. Then my parents will show up around noon (they have a three hour drive to get to my house). We'll open the rest of the presents then. After that we start cooking our dinner, which is actually more like a late lunch. After dinner we relax for a bit, then my parents leave for back home.

The best thing about Christmas Seeing how excited my daughter Natalie gets when opening presents. Her little eyes just light up and she dances around and gets excited to see what everyone else is getting too. This Christmas is extra special because it is Kara's first, and I am looking forward to seeing my two girls experience the day together.



The worst Cooking. I despise it.

Gift-giving philosophy This year: Less is more. I used to go way overboard, but I realized that it was just too much. How can you really appreciate so much excess? I think only a few, well thought out gifts are better than bringing the whole store home with you.

Shopping destinations I've hit etsy this year for a few gifts for the girls. I also made a few gifts on the 'ol sewing machine. I actually haven't done much shopping this year because all the adults decided to forgo the gift giving. We are just focusing on the little ones and spending time together.

Budget I've never set a budget before because I would rely on credit cards (bad idea!) so this year I am reigning in my spending and only buying what we can actually afford!


Receiving gifts Fun, but as I have gotten older I have definitely adopted the "It is better to give than to receive" mentality.

Wrapping tips I have seen so many great wrapping ideas around the blogosphere this season it makes my head spin! What I usually do is pick a color scheme each year and wrap everything in coordinating paper. I also designate a certain wrapping paper to each family member, which makes it easy to identify which gift is for which person without even needing to look at the gift tag.

Decorations I am a member of the Fake Tree Club. I know it's a tad tacky, but my allergies deter me from getting a live tree. Another reason I prefer a fake is because I feel so wasteful when it comes time to dumping the poor tree in the gutter for removal a few days after Christmas.


Theme This year I am using black and white wrapping paper. Each year after Christmas I hit up the sales to get next year's paper, ribbons, cards, etc. Only drawback is by the time next Christmas comes around I have new ideas and am not always thrilled with what I bought. I plan on buying white tulips to put in clear vases for the dinner table, and dotting it with clear votive holders. I'm keeping it simple. Oh, and of course white twinkle lights everywhere!

My decorating wish That the house would decorate itself! Sometimes it is so much work getting everything out, and then taking it all down is even worse!

The menu Breakfast consists of eggs, sausage and pancakes (Natalie's favorite). Dinner is usually ham, mashed potatoes, salad, rolls and a vegetable side dish. We always have sparkling cider too, I think it is so festive.

The vibe Definitely laid back and casual

Your best timesaver tips Don't tell anyone, but I've been known to buy those "Holiday Meals" at the grocery store, where everything comes already pre-made in a big box. You just take it home and heat it up. But don't worry, I plan on perfecting some recipes and doing it all from scratch...someday. I think it is also a huge time saver to do your shopping online. No time spent driving to your destination, wandering around the store, and waiting in lines.


The wow factor I must say the wow factor comes on Christmas Eve with my in laws. The day before all the women in the family spend the whole day making Tamales, and then on Christmas Eve we get to eat them. It is the only time all year that they make them, so it is very special, and very delicious! People are always begging me to bring them some leftover Tamales.

Preparing for guests I go on a cleaning frenzy the day before. I am a very good procrastinator.

On boxing day I'll be... Taking it easy at home, watching the girls enjoy their new stuff and cuddling with my Hubby!

Thanks Jackie and Merry Christmas. xx

5 comments:

  1. amanda, I am enjoying these posts! love hearing about traditions of others for the holidays.
    can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for including me Amanda! Hope you all have a fabulous Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just the best series ever. I am so fascinated hearing about others' Christmases! I LOVE the idea of a big tamale feast on Christmas eve. Something about it seems so festive and full of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so great Amanda! And this one is so lovely...it sounds lovely and calm and bright. So sweet!
    xo
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete