Our friend Clare, from the creative trio Mondo Cherry is sharing her Christmas with us today. These Australian ladies are always creating something fabulous, be sure to pop by their shop for lots of paperie goodness.
My typical Christmas morning We have a rule that we don't get up until 7 am so the morning starts with us sending the children who can't yet tell the time back to bed multiple times. Just before 7 there is a countdown outside our door before all five burst in to investigate the contents of their stockings. They are allowed to open only one present before Church and I usually pick something that they can either wear or take with them (but nothing but too noisy or with too many pieces!) . After the Christmas Service we come back home and the kids hover around the tree while we inflict the same pain that my parents inflicted on us as children; by insisting on a cup of coffee and a mince pie before starting the present opening.
The best thing about Christmas Celebrating the birth of Christ with family and friends, and seeing the excitement on the children's faces as they open their presents. I also love the excuse to redecorate and it is always exciting to open the Christmas boxes and rediscover precious ornaments.

The worst Parking at the shops - what is it about Christmas shopping that seems to bring out the worst in people? Also trying to stuff all the rubbish into an already overflowing recycling bin.
Gift-giving philosophy For the kids we try to buy something to wear, something that encourages outdoor play and something that they can enjoy together. For mums and dads, brothers and sisters, I try to find something that they wouldn't have bought themselves. We love making handmade gifts and I wish I had more time to do this. I would love to instill in my kids the principle that giving is more fun than receiving. At the moment it is a work in progress!
Shopping destinations I would love to say Paris, New York and this great little gift shop that I know of in Melbourne, but in reality it is where ever I can get a car park! Actually, I have left my shopping very late this year, so I won't be able to take advantage of all the great stuff you can find online.
Budget I don't usually have a set budget, but I try to keep the spending under control so I am not still paying for my Christmas presents at Easter. One of the hardest things is trying to end up with each of the children having the same number of presents to open while spending a similar amount on each.
Receiving gifts My birthday is just a week before Christmas, so I go all through the year thinking of great things to add to my list, and then get to the beginning of December and forget every one. My family know me very well and I am usually very spoilt. If in doubt, anything beautiful or white makes me happy! My husband is a fantastic present buyer although every year he buys me a "out on a limb" pressie which is usually something I have never ever thought of getting. Always a fun one to open!
Wrapping tips Start before Christmas eve... last year I didn't and was still wrapping at 1 am, make life easier for yourself only buy things in boxes, and invest in a heavy duty sticky tape holder. I try to think of a wrapping theme every year, either a particular colour, a style of tag or a way of wrapping. This year it is going to be pleated paper. Santa wraps his presents in paper with Santa pictures on it so there is no lingering question that it comes from him.
Decorations I love tiny white fairy lights and have lots of candles and votives around the house. i have a slight (alright, a large) obsession with snowflakes and get very excited when I find one I haven't got. I think I would do much more decorating if I lived in the northern hemisphere as I find having too many decorations out just adds to the ridiculous Queensland heat. Last year in the sales I bought some of those Lemax houses that light up and some of the figurines they were selling off cheap as the children spend hours standing by the displays in department stores. I figure I will buy one a year after Christmas to add to my collection. I haven't perfected my display of them but I suppose it will be a work in progress.
Theme One of our best ever purchases was two sofas with two sets of white slip covers. They let me change the Christmas colour accent very easily. This year I was torn between pale blue, inspired by a cushion purchase, and the traditional red. So I have decided to do both on alternate weeks. Talk about making work for myself...
The tree We actually have three trees. In order to have the big tree the way I like it, the children have their own trees - one for the boys and one for the girls - that they are allowed to decorate and redecorate any way they like. These trees frequently have Lego figures, jewellery and their latest artwork adorning their branches as well as all the special ornaments made at kindy and school. The main tree is decorated entirely with my ever growing snowflake collection. I only collect white and silver ones and try to keep every one unique, just like real snowflakes. I love the simplicity of it and the way it sparkles.

My decorating wish To be tidy enough to appreciate my decorations - with 5 children we are always under clutter control and while I would love a simple, stylish and tidy decorating scheme, the reality is there are too many paper plate artworks, coloured in santas and baked dough reindeer ornaments to ever achieve my ideal Christmas interior! That is not to say I don't love my children's art work, just that I could do with another house just to contain it.
The menu I love Christmas baking - especially using my snowflake cookie cutters and there is always lots of 'naughty' food around the house at this time of year. We usually have lunch with my family and dinner with the in-laws, both turkey with the works! I hardly need to eat a thing on Boxing Day after 2 lots of Christmas pudding. This year will be different as Mum (susieq, one of the mondo cherry 3) and Dad are heading back to the UK to stay with Grandma. So JJ (the other mondo cherry-er) and her family and our brother Mark are going to do a simple brunch, probably lots of fruit, french toast and bacon and a mince pie or two. Dinner, with my husbands family, is at our place for the first time so I will attempt to impress my mother-in-law with my spectacular menu! So far all I know is that hubby will be cooking the turkey on the BBQ.

The vibe Somewhere between extremely excited and very relaxed. We take our time opening presents, taking turns and trying to give the kids time to play in between to avoid the pandemonium that comes with a free for all present opening.
Your best timesaver tips Not my forte... looking forward to reading everyone else's answers!
The wow factor Appears at night with the snowflake tree glowing, the village lit up and the candles twinkling.
Preparing for guests Change slipcovers on sofas (see above), sweep clutter under sofas, taste test cookies, and have lots of cold drinks at the ready.
On boxing day I'll be... ideally, watching the Boxing Day Cricket Match with my husband lovingly rubbing my back and my children playing quietly. In reality it will probably be more tidying up, finding places for new toys and inventing ways to use the leftovers.
Thanks, Clare! Wishing you and your families a Merry Christmas. xx

What a beautiful tree! I love that she doesn't buy duplicate snowflakes so that they are all different as in nature. A lovely idea.
ReplyDeleteThat tree is just divine! And I love the idea of having a 'grown up tree' and a couple 'kids trees'. I remember when I was growing up, my parents' tree was always such a mish mash of home made ornaments...this solves that issue perfectly!
ReplyDeleteso fun to read these!! Thanks for sharing. cheers
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea- lovely to hear about how others celebrate Christmas.
ReplyDelete