Thursday, December 11, 2008

Melissa Loves Christmas


The sweet and upbeat Melissa from Melissa Loves is now going to share her Christmas celebrations with us. It's always fun and exciting to hear how others celebrate the holiday season. Melissa's blog boasts an array of beautiful finds each week and she's also the designer behind the etsy shop, Acts of Kindness.

My typical Christmas morning For me it is always so exciting to see my little girl's reaction on Christmas morning, Christmas music and stockings and a cup of coffee.... excitement in the air! When I was little it was the same, my 3 brothers and I racing to the spot where we had hung our stockings and all the excitement.

The best thing about Christmas I have always loved the sights, smells and sounds of Christmas....no matter what it means to you...the scent of pine, the sparkle and the songs at this time of year get me every time.


The worst I guess, the fact that alot of the time Christmas becomes about how much you get or how much you decorate instead of how much you give (love, not things) and how grateful you are for what you already have.

Gift-giving philosophy ooh... I just try to give someone something I think they would really like.... I am always on a budget so I have to carefully consider when I choose. But, I also try to give them something that is meaningful for them and will last. This year I am really trying to buy most of my gifts handmade.

Shopping destinations etsy, etsy, and more etsy! :) Also, a little mixed co. booth in Bryant park, velocity art & design, Parcel (a shop near by me in Montclair, NJ that is a wonderland), and Target! (I do have little ones after all that are jonesing for one or two things from a regular ole store) :)

Print (below) and ornament made by Heather Smith Jones


Budget Um... let's see. I am not really sure but, as everyone is having to tighten their belts this year I am trying to keep that in mind too. However, we always make a budget and try to buy things that are really special and not buy "more" just to have "more".


Receiving gifts I have to confess... I always love receiving gifts and I love when they are handmade. Although they don't have to be for me to like them but, it sure is special when they are. Just today, my friend Marichelle left an adorable handmade garland on my porch for me (as I had swooned and swooned over the one she had in her home) and I am absolutely in love with it!

Wrapping tips Hmm.... I don't know if I am the best wrapper but I am trying to improve. I adore when the gift is wrapped in a very special way, you almost hate to open it! But, this year I am wrapping in brown kraft paper, making tags with scrap paper, red & white twine and pom poms made from my friend Ez's cute tutorial!

Decorations I guess I am of the school that "less is more" sometimes... so we have a tree and green garlands on the porch and around the fireplace.... a few little vintagey Christmas things about and that is it! Oh, and a wreath! Does that sounds like alot? (hee hee)

Theme I don't really have a theme.... just things I like and have collected over the years. I guess there definitely is an over all tone of handmade and vintage but nothing set in stone! :)

The tree A good ole yummy smelling one! :) With ornaments we have had since my hubby and I first started dating 14 years ago. We add to it a tiny bit every year. I love that.



My decorating wish I don't have one except that I hope my sweet tree doesn't dry out too quickly!

The menu uh oh.... I don't really know! I just hosted Thanks giving so I haven't given it alot of thought yet. But I will make whatever the family would like! We might just get Filipino food and call it a day! :)

The vibe Warm, cosy and special..... I love Christmas time so very much and want my children to have special memories too.

Your best timesaver tips I guess I try to have most things shipped when I buy them and make a little wrapping station all ready to go..... that's about it! I don't have alot of them I guess.

The wow factor Just that I am here with those that I love and we are well and happy. That is all the wow I need.... really.

Free Heather Smith Jones print from Heart Handmade


Preparing for guests Oh! I have very special guests coming on the 28th and I will ready their room the way I would like a room to be. Comfortable, warm, cosy and with some greenery and sparkle about! A great smelling candle and some fresh flowers go a long way for me! And try to have the comforts of home available to them and since it gets awfully dry and cold here.... a little hand cream, lip balm and extra blankets for them to snuggle under!

On boxing day I'll be... Just relaxing and watching my girls play. Lovely....

6 comments:

  1. You are a doll Amanda! Thank you so much for inviting me to join this sweet holiday series! It was so much fun!
    xo
    Melissa
    ps the beautiful little ornament(cream with a silver sequin in the center), and the "Peace on earth" print were made by the lovely Heather Smith Jones (www.hrsmithjones.etsy.com) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this! I love sweet and talented Melissa-and I enjoy getting to know more and more about her! She is such a lovely and genuine person! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Katie, and thanks so much Melissa! It was lovely to hear all about your Christmas. I've just added that link. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I loved this interview...she is one of my all time favorite blogging gals...this interview is a perfect example of why that is...xo t

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing more of Melissa with us. She's always so generous to feature everyone else...it's so nice to hear more about the lovely and sweet Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm from a Filippino family as well as we ALWAYS have lumpia & pancit at the Christmas dinner table. YUM!

    ReplyDelete