Saturday, December 13, 2008

Handmade by Merrilee.


I was so delighted when Merrilee from Mer Mag agreed to participate in our Christmas series. I've only recently discovered her inspiring blog but it's now a daily haunt of mine. Thanks Merrilee! x

My typical Christmas morning sleeping in…no early morning present opening for me. I love to draw it out and enjoy the anticipation for as long as possible. Then there are homemade cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate to enjoy before going into the tree to open gifts.


The best thing about Christmas the anticipation, the warmth and kindness of strangers, spending it with loved ones and the decorations.
The worst the shopping! I usually love to shop and I LOVE to give gifts but shopping around Christmas time is a dizzying nightmare.

Gift-giving philosophy I try to go with hand made gifts but don’t always have the time. If it’s not hand made then I try to really hone in on something that fits their personality just right. I get so much satisfaction out of giving the perfect gift.

Shopping destinations Etsy (of course), Dawanda, various boutiques both online and on foot, Amazon, Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie and if all else fails, the dreaded Target.

Budget I try to keep things to a minimum, $20 for friends, siblings and coworkers, etc. My husband and I usually try to stay within a certain budget as well. This year it’s all about the little ones.


Receiving gifts this is always fun but as I get older it's definitely more about the kids. I'm always touched however when I receive a gift from someone that I least expect it from. The knowledge that they were thinking of me is the best part.

Wrapping tips this year I’m wrapping everything in brown packing paper or white butcher paper and adding accents such as monogram tags and lovely ribbon or bakers twine. The wrapping is often just as fun (and sometimes more!) as picking out the gift.

Decorations Going for a homespun/recycled/use what you already have kind of Christmas this year. I love creating decorations. This is a HUGE part of Christmas for me. I haven’t had the same tree twice in all 7 years of marriage (I just realized this btw).


Theme Homespun Holiday with a hint of woodsy

The tree darling hand made forest creatures, paper chain garlands, pine cones, paper ornaments and more. It’s kid friendly and colorful for my 2 ½ year old.

My decorating wish to have more TIME. I still have the following items on my to-create list: paper wreath, stockings, felted owl ornaments, felted tree skirt, modge podge paper or fabric balls, and more!

The menu good question. We have company coming into town and I haven’t the slightest idea what we are going to have Christmas Eve or Christmas dinner. Any thoughts?


The vibe casual, warm, magical and giddy.

Your best timesaver tips Still trying to figure this out. Sometimes the Internet saves time, sometimes it takes up more time (comparison online shopping can get out of control). I will say this, however, making your own gifts certainly is not a timesaver.

The wow factor hand made or that perfect “how did you know I wanted/needed this!” gift.


Preparing for guests hmm…trying to remember it’s all about having fun, relaxing and enjoying time together. When they arrive, you just have to let go.

On boxing day I'll be... looking up the definition of “boxing day”

6 comments:

  1. First of all, is that you gorgeous baby ?

    Gorgeous !!!!

    well, leg of lamb is easy , served with mint jelly and or chutney. Side of wild rice etc etc.
    it's very 'old Christmas '.

    but there is always a goose and i haven't the faintest....

    happy xmas.
    you are on my daily read.

    renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleeping in on Christmas morning - that would be nice! I agree with you regarding the shopping, I usually love to shop but this time of year even the carpark is enoiugh to make me want to go straight back home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like her tree theme! what fun her home must be with the homemade decorations, felt owls, felt skirting, paper chains... lovely. I wish I could see more of her tree.
    I agree with Renee, her little one is gorgeously sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I love your christmas series amanda - what a lovely idea and so many wonderful ideas! merilee, christmas shopping is easy so long as you leave it until dec 23rd and are 25 weeks pregnant and accompanied by a grizzling toddler. what you'll find then is that desperation drives you to make quick decisions!

    hey amanda - i have a business proposition for you - do you think you could email me? saralander@gmail.com sorry to do it via your comments but i don't have any other way to contact you

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. your son is so cute! glad to hear I'm not the only one who sleeps in (although with babies this is a little harder)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds lovely! Beautiful home, beautiful decorations( I adore that little reindeer!) beautiful little boy! and it sounds sweet and lovely all around. The cinnamon buns don't hurt either! :)
    Thank you for sharing and thank you Amanda for another wonderful interview!
    xo
    Melis

    ReplyDelete