Australian artist, Lisa Tilse is here today to share her Christmas with us. Her blog The red thread is a fabulously inspired read, be sure to pop over and visit her business site too.
My typical Christmas morning My daughter is just about to turn 5, so I think this Christmas will mark the start of the new 'typical' Christmas morning. What I am anticipating is:
2am... "Mum, has Santa been yet?"
3am... "Mum, can we go and look under the tree to see if Santa has been?"
4am... "Mum, can we pleeeeaaase just go and have a look Santa has been and if the reindeer have eaten the carrots?"
4.30am... "Mum, can we..." Me: "Oh, OK, let's get up!"
... just the way it happened when I was a child! That's karma for you.

The best thing about Christmas Seeing the delight and anticipation on children's faces. Not just on the day, but for virtually all of December. Creating new family traditions. Wonderful memories of my family Christmases. Giving.
The worst Both my parents have passed away, so Christmas is a very bitter sweet time for me.
Gift-giving philosophy I only buy things that I know the receiver will like - and hopefully love. I know that sounds pretty basic, but I don't buy gifts for the sake of it. Things that I consider to be generic like chocolates, fancy body moisturisers, etc, to me don't show much thought or love... unless the recipient happens to be a chocolate lover, or into beautiful toiletries of course!
I'm trying to teach Roxy about giving and receiving. Her birthday is a week after Christmas, so she is flooded with gifts this time of year. I want her to know that there are other people less fortunate than she is. We go through her room and she decides what she no longer likes and doesn't play with and we give those toys to charity. That way we also get rid of a lot of clutter and unnecessary stuff. Of course I live by that philosophy myself too, and always give what money I can to charities particularly at this time of year.
Shopping destinations My shopping destinations are always varied. This year we spent time in Japan, so we bought most of our Christmas gifts there.
Budget I don't have a Christmas gift budget as such because I buy gifts throughout the year, but we definitely aren't extravagant with gifts.
Receiving gifts I love to receive things that I know have been bought with thought - it doesn't matter what it is.
Wrapping tips Select a colour theme and coordinate your paper, ribbon, tags etc. That doesn't mean it has to be expensive. I love the look of plain white office paper, or brown paper when its decorated with other paper, ribbons, string, stamps, etc.
Decorations This year I have made a paper wreath for our front door and an advent calendar using the same paper. Apart from our Christmas stockings and tree that's it for decorations. I'm a bit of a minimalist. I made Roxy a Christmas stocking before she was born, and I hang it up with my childhood one - it's almost getting a bit threadbare now, but it has been a part of every Christmas of my life.
Theme The theme this year is based on the colours I used for the wreath and advent calendar: white, red, natural (brown paper), and a bit of silver and green.
The tree I always used to have a minimalist, modern tree made from bare branches standing in a vase (like my advent calendar this year). But a couple of years ago I decided I was denying my daughter part of the magic of Christmas: a traditional type of tree with all the trimmings and lights... so that's what we have now, although it's not a real tree. When we decorated the tree this year we layered on all our decorations, which are white, silver, red and dark pink, then I decided that I just wanted white and silver, so I 'un-decorated' it! On the top of our tree is the star that was on our family Christmas tree for my entire childhood. I intend to pass it on to Roxy and make it a family heirloom.
My decorating wish To have the time to hand make all new decorations for our tree. Maybe next year.
The menu Christmas day is either at my parents-in-law's, or sister-in-law's home and things are simple, no fuss and fresh. Usually chicken, ham and various salads, followed by Christmas pudding.
The vibe Very relaxed and happy.
Your best timesaver tips I tend to buy Christmas gifts throughout the year. When I see something that I know is perfect for someone I'll buy it when I see it. Or when a friend or family member tells me about something they've seen or read about or need I make a note of it and buy it when I can. I do this for birthdays too. It really helps in a few ways: you buy a gift that you know the recipient will enjoy; it saves that last minute rush at the end of the year; and it spreads out the Christmas spending so you don't have an end of year credit card blow out.
The wow factor Nothing beats the look on Roxy's face when she's opening her presents - that's truly a wow factor!
Preparing for guests I'm a perfectionist, so when we have guests I want everything to be just right. Unfortunately that means lots of preparation and stress. I am working on letting go!
On boxing day I'll be... Doing practically the same thing as on Christmas day with the same people... but without the present opening.
Merry Christmas Lisa! xx

I'd love the time to make handmade decorations too...one day!
ReplyDeleteLoved this post!!! Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHey Amanda, Thanks so much for asking me to join your fave bloggers for this Christmas round up. I'm flattered! It's a great idea and it's been wonderful to read about the different things we all do for the festive season (as well as the similarities!). Have a great Christmas.
ReplyDeletex
Lisa
Beautiful decorative ideas for Christmas, I really like them.
ReplyDelete