Friday, December 12, 2008

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas!


Belinda Graham, author of blogs Renovate + Decorate and Mini Meez, and web editor for Real Living Magazine is our next guest in this Christmas series. Welcome!

My typical Christmas morning I was never one of those kids who woke at 4am and started ripping into the pressies. In our house we used to wake up normally (and we loved our sleep more than Christmas so slept in!), then we were allowed to do our stockings, then Dad would make the world's slowest-cooking breakfast just to draw it out, then we'd have to "find" dad who decided to hide just to be annoying. THEN we could do open our pressies - usually close to lunch time when the rest of the kids in the street had already tired of their new bikes and skateboards! Now that I have kids of my own, I don't think I'd draw it out that much, but it'll still be the stockings in our bed, breakfast then pressies! They're only 2 years old and 6 months so they won't know what's going on anyway! Then later in the day we'll pop over to Steve's parents for dinner and more pressies and my family a few days later.


The best thing about Christmas I love that everyone actually makes the effort to get together with family. Luckily there is no crazy driving across the countryside to be in two places at once - we do our little family one in the morning, then Steve's family in the afternoon, then my family when we can (see next question!). It is getting harder to get everyone together now that we're all grown up and have jobs, but that just makes it more special because it's not often we can get everyone in the same place at the same time. It's always a blast and I wish we could do it more often.

The worst The effort organising the getting together! One of my sisters and her husband are both pilots so our lives revolve around when they can do it as they're often working over Christmas. So we usually have the big family Christmas on my side either before or after Chrissy. It doesn't really matter when though as long as it happens!



Gift-giving philosophy I really only buy for our immediate family and a couple of friends' kids. I'd go broke otherwise! I love buying pressies and try really hard to get something they really want, need or that is just perfect for them. The last few years on my side we've been writing wish lists which makes life so much easier! Plus it's still a surprise because you don't know what item you're going to get off the list! Or if it's on the list at all! It's just a guide. This year we're also doing Kris Kringle - from now on it's just the kids who'll get something from everyone. For my own kids, they'll be getting things they need and a few fun things - everyone else gets them the impressive toys and fun stuff, so aside from a few cool things, it'll be school bags and teethers and bottles and clothes!

Shopping destinations Well considering I have no time, online has been my lifesaver! I've been shopping at midnight or when the bubs are sleeping. That said, I still have a heap to do, so it looks like it'll be another crazy run around one late-night shopping night next week! My faves this year are Baby's got style, Bebe online, Etsy, Styled Baby and Peter's of Kensington. Away from the computer I love Country Road for clothes and homewares, Cotton On Kids, Myer, David Jones and a few cool one-off stores near me for bits and pieces.

Budget My husband and I usually buy something smallish for each other because we've always got things to get for the house (like our kitchen!). There is no real budget per person, it's just what we want to get them for the best price. For the kris kringle though it's $200 per couple.



Receiving gifts On my side of the family I tell them what I want (within a reasonable price range! So not the Moroccan wedding blanket or Tord Boontje blossom chandelier I'd LOVE!). This year I asked for practical stuff - organic cotton bed sheets, towels, knife set... On my husband's side, it's always a surprise!

Wrapping tips You can't go past plain white wrapping paper and brown craft paper. I get Zak to scribble on it or write the recipients name over it or just wrap around strips of prettier paper and a ribbon to dress it up a little.

Decorations Babyproof! Which means it's rather minimal at my place. There is a tree, a paper angel chain, a wreath on the door and a few baubles hanging around as well as an advent calendar my son can't wait to do each day! This year I made my own tree decorations out of seeded paper - just cut out stars and angels. When Christmas is over we'll plant them and watch the flowers grow.


Theme White and silver - it just turned out that way because the paper I used for the tree decorations was white and the only baubles for the tree that weren't breakable were silver!

The tree It's a typical plastic green one I got from Kmart about 10 years ago. Still going strong (except for one poor limp branch that gets faced to the wall every year!)


My decorating wish I'd love to live in the northern hemisphere one year just so I can decorate in that beautiful Scandinavian way and enjoy a white Christmas. Next year I'm determined to get my place looking woody and white and natural like in these pics, although with a lot less snow! I did spend Christmas in Vienna one year with my uncle, aunty and cousin and was wishing, wishing for snow. I got it in the last hour of daylight on Christmas Day so was thrilled! I love our summer Christmases, but it had a whole different cosy feel to it sipping hot chocolate with a fire going and the snow falling outside. I felt like I was in a Christmas movie!

The menu Each year we rotate the hosting, so it's our year off. However, we're bringing a few bits and pieces. There'll be ham and turkey, potato salad, a range of other salads, bread rolls and always, always my chocolate chip cookies. That's what I have to bring!


The vibe It's so casual and rather cheesy. We pop our bon bons, wear the hats and of course take it in turns to tell the really bad jokes that are in the bon bons. Then it's help yourself to food! It's loud, it's busy, it's so much fun. Wherever we are it always ends up outside with a game of backyard cricket.

Your best timesaver tips Oh I'm the worst person to ask this. I am a procrastinator and despite my good intentions every October to have Christmas sorted before December hits, I'm running around like a crazy person the week before with cards to write and send, pressies to buy and food to organise.

The wow factor My cookies are always a hit. Sad, but true - especially because they look disgusting but taste like heaven. They get rave reviews and are requested every year!



Preparing for guests I have just enough to time to make the place clean and tidy and then I'll give everyone jobs when they walk through the door - play cricket with Zak, bounce Layla, add the mayo to the potato salad. Not that anyone ever complains about the first two!

On boxing day I'll be... Hopefully doing absolutely nothing!

Merry Christmas Belinda! x

4 comments:

  1. I am really loving reading these features Amanda! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely! it's really nice to read what others do for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. I am in such a similar situation with a 2 1/2 year old and 7 week old. A lot of our traditions are similar too. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for inviting me to be a part of this great idea amanda! so nice to read the variety of ways people celebrate. and i forgot to add with the pressies, just to draw it out even further, our big present was always a treasure hunt. can't wait until my kiddies are old enough to do that too! x

    ReplyDelete