Thursday, October 30, 2008

Little wish boats


Apologies for the lack of posting this week. My son C came home from school with an awful migraine on Tuesday. Poor little thing. This has been going on for about a year. He is often sick and will sleep for 12 hours plus, thankfully not this week. He was fine within a couple of hours.

Yesterday I took him back to the audiologist, his second appointment. Him and Miss M were both booked in at 10.45am for a one hour appointment which is incredibly difficult when there's only one of me. C has some middle ear problems, some congestion which could be caused by allergies. Next step is back off to the pediatrician.

Miss M was fitted with new hearing aids yesterday, they have a built in FM unit which basically works like a walkie talkie. We (her parents) or her teacher can wear the box and speech is then relayed straight into her aids. Using the FM is ideal for one on one conversations, story time etc. But as a child who was born deaf she needs access to as much surrounding sound as possible to develop her speech. They're the same hot shade of pink, the same glitter flecked pink moulds, much the same size, but she was very impressed by the little lights that her other set never had. And they came with a sticker book.

I love these sweet paper wish boats. C would love making these himself and then hanging in his room.

14 comments:

  1. Oh the little boats are lovely Amanda.

    I really hope Callum gets his ear problems sorted, BIG hugs. Keep me updated.

    How lovely for Mia to get new special hearing aids too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the boats as well. I do hope Callum gets better soon. Yay for Mia and her new aids.

    Thinking of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful wish boats, divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, Callum and Mia (and Lolly) are lucky to have you as a Mum to make such cool things with.

    Love the boats.

    Hope Callum is feeling better soon and glad Mia loves her new hearing aids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those boats are great aren't they? I have them saved in my 'love files' too.

    Poor Callum, I completely sympathise with him. I have suffered from dreadful migraines ever since I was six and I hate the things! And Mia's hearing aids... pink, sparkles, lights and stickers - so cool!
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear that Mias loves the new hearing aids. I hope Callums ear issues are on the mend as well.

    I love how the boats are strung up like that, a few rows in co-ordingating papers would look gorgesous as a window treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How gorgeous! I hope Callum is feeling better soon & so good to hear about Mia & her new aids. Have a lovely weekend! Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love love love the boats!!
    Our Ben used his FM in the classroom off and on. I agree the hardest thing for someone born deaf is all the extranious noise, the TV, radio, conversations that are not directly yours etc all give us hearing folk access to vocab and concepts. I still struggle with guilt when Ben asks a question about something I think he should have been privy to at 10 and hes now 18 that he missed out on because he cant hear all that stuff. How did I not teach him that? But the fact is as he got older the amount of language and concepts increased exponentially and we couldnt keep up no matter how much we exposed him to or 'field trips' we organised.

    He is now working as a computer engineer in Wellington and is for all intents and purposes an adult and I swell with pride when I get an email in adult (as opposed to in teenage) language and when people (like his boss) complement him on how much he knows for his age..not for a deaf person.... It is hard work having a deafie in the family but oh so rewarding too. Pink glittery aids... they would be right up my alley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those boats - I'm going to use them as the wish vessels for Summer Solstice this year! :)

    Thanks Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great blog some how i found you when i was researching things on our sons birth defect esophageal atresia and other complications. i wish you nothing but the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post caught my attention. My mom works for a non profit agency that tests students hearing. She absolutely loves it, and goes above and beyond to make sure kids are tested. You wouldn't believe how many different things they've caught ahead of time because of these tests. I'm so happy to hear about your hearing aids. She must be so excited to finally be able to hear. I hope your son gets better soon. Best of luck to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are adorable and so is your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great blog! I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!

    ReplyDelete