Sunday, December 12, 2010

Like a Puck




Recently I have been thinking about the kids expressing themselves through their appearance. A while ago I caught an episode of Oprah when {homeschooling parents} Jada Pinkett and husband Will Smith - who by the way, are the epitome of cool - were talking about their daughter Willow's quirky new haircut. Jada had said they discussed her ideas for the haircut first and it was a gradual process, getting shorter each time. At the time I thought it was great that they were so respectful of her choices. It is just hair after all.

My kids are all at the stage where they are confident in choosing what they wear AND what they won't wear. I can't go shopping for their clothes anymore without consulting with them first otherwise it may just sit in the wardrobe unworn. Like Mia's gorgeous Wayne Jnr skirt and top set, or Callum's awesome Little Horn shirt that they both refuse to wear. As someone who loves great design, and yeah I'm a bit of a control freak, this hasn't been easy for me. I keep reminding myself that I want them to be happy, confident people both now and in the future and I feel most confident when I'm looking fabulous. Their definition of 'fabulous' however is a little more mismatched than my own!

Callum asked for a haircut last week, you know your boy's growing up when he moves on from his favoured haircut aptly known as 'Ben 10 spikes'. His request was for a Puck mohawk. You will only know what Puck is if you're a fan of the tv show Glee. My kids are all Gleeks and while I'm sure we'll get some disapproving comments over Callum sporting a mohawk; I have even had the B bomb dropped {bogan eeek!} I think it's pretty cool that he idolises someone for their singing and dancing and that he's starting to carve out his own individual style.

I wonder if I'll feel differently when Lola requests a 'Willow' haircut?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone



No comments:

Post a Comment