
Will the children be assessed? How will you know if they're on par with their classmates? How will they be graded? What if you don't teach them everything they need to learn? Or what if you can't teach them something they want to learn? Can they still go to uni? All of these concerns were voiced but the consensus was out on 'socialization'.
I can safely say my kids are now more socialized than ever. Everyday holds a new adventure and a new friend to meet; a balloon expert who makes amazing balloon creations, a nice lady and her showdog Daisy preparing for her next competition, and Kerrie who gives our neighbours' pooch Poppy her weekly pamper. We also have a running playdate with other homeschooled children and will soon be starting back at dance classes and music lessons.

I wish I knew then what I know now, I wish we'd homeschooled from the beginning. My kids have the opportunity to make friends of all ages and from all walks of life. Friends who they find interesting and share common interests with, not just the same birth year.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
I know a few of those questions came from me - I don't know if they were initially out of judgement/concern or just plain curiosity but I know from my point of view I had never heard of non schooling and I wasn't even sure it was legal.
ReplyDeleteThe social aspect and my concern about their eligibility for Uni were big questions that came from me - but you had responses to both of them.
The un schooling method is unusual to some (I'd guess most) people though, so you are bound to get questions - just because people are tying to understand your choices doesn't always mean people are judging for them.
I don't think anyone who knows you as a mother would ever question your motives to non-school - I am sure you would never do anything that you feel wasn't in their best interest.
I recently watched an episode of wife swap where a non-schooling family judged/questioned traditional families for sending their children to school.
I guess ultimately we all have to make our own life and family choices - and then live with them regardless of what other people think. No one can ever please everyone so we all just need to aim on pleasing ourselves.
Different strokes for different folks and what a very boring world we would live in if it was any other way :)
I'm another who has asked a lot of questions about home schooling in the past out of curiosity and really just lack of knowledge about it all. I do admire you very much for taking it on, it's definitely not the easy option.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see more photos and blog posts about your adventures. I'm studying the maths unit this year so if you would like any resources/ideas let me know :)
Yah! So glad you've decided to unschool Amanda. It's a great journey. We've never looked back. I think it is difficult for people to 'get' because it's still relatively unheard of to many people but it's certainly on the rise with the school system's being unable to cope with the abundance of kids and needs.
ReplyDeleteHere's to usnchooling and our kidlets! I look forward to getting to know you as a fellow unschooling blog addicted!xx